- Los Angeles, Concord, San Diego, Sacramento, Irvine, Salinas, CA
- Full Time
- WATER CONSULTING
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Director of Stormwater
At Harris, our Water Consulting business unit helps communities to better connect with their
water. Our clients, many small to mid-sized City water departments, public works departments, and water agencies, are facing growing challenges like never before: replacing aging infrastructure, meeting new permit requirements, managing tight budgets, losing experienced staff to retirement--all while trying to keep water affordable for their communities.
At Harris, we have made it our mission to help these clients – using our expertise to find new and creative ways to serve their needs. Our focused services include: asset management, strategic and integrated OneWater planning, stormwater management, rates and affordability, and risk and resilience planning. Furthermore, in support of California’s Human Right to Water mandate, we have a unique focus to help bring safe drinking water to our State’s most underserved communities..
Harris has an immediate opening for a Director, Stormwater in our Water Consulting business unit. This position will report to the Vice President, Water Consulting and will work closely with our two other Directors—Water Planning and Water Finance—to develop and execute integrated business development and project delivery strategies. Projects assigned to the Stormwater practice include runoff water quality management and watershed management (in connection with water supply and flood management). Services provided include feasibility studies, master plans, permitting and compliance support, CIP development, asset management, operations and maintenance assessments, and pursuit of grant funding.
Responsibilities & Duties
Responsibilities and duties of the Director, Water Planning will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as client manager for key clients; maintain relationships with stakeholders important to these clients (e.g. environmental groups, regulators, watershed coordinators, etc.).
- Help the Water Consulting Business Unit (BU) leader establish and grow the stormwater practice within the Water Consulting BU with a particular emphasis on watershed management planning, permitting, development and implementation throughout California but with an initial focus on Southern California.
- Foster and facilitate partnerships with other consultants as needed to support the growth of our stormwater practice.
- Participate in strategic marketing discussions and lead proposal development.
- Manage, plan, design, prioritize and provide Project Management expertise for projects focused on stormwater quality, green infrastructure (GI) and low-impact development (LID).
- Mentor mid-level and junior engineers on stormwater, watershed management and permitting.
- Assist in recruiting new staff.
- Provide quality assurance and quality control on client deliverables and projects involving runoff water quality.
- Manage projects and teams that may be comprised of planners, engineers, or other specialty consultants. This includes possibly managing staff in Harris’ other BUs, in particular, the Engineering BU.
- Provide support to our Environmental, Planning and Compliance (EPC) BU on permitting and environmental impacts associated with water quality and hydrology.
- Work with other Water Consulting BU consultants to expand opportunities in asset management, finance and rates and other water consulting areas.
- Help grow our ability to pursue and secure stormwater grant funding for our clients, working in collaboration with our grants team.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Environmental Engineering or related engineering discipline. Masters preferred.
- Registered PE in California preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive experience conducting feasibility studies (concept through implementation) and analysis of stormwater/water resources projects for municipalities within California
- Recent experience with the planning and implementation of sustainable GI, including subsurface storage and infiltration, bioretention basins, bioswales, green streets, and constructed wetlands.
- Expertise in water quality regulations and the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) program. Direct experience working with MS4 jurisdictions in California; Southern California preferred.
- Experience and success in obtain grant funding for clients and their projects/programs preferred.
- Experience with navigating work through municipal organizations, including obtaining necessary approvals for project/program budgets and authorizations.
- Strong project management skills.
- Supervisory experience of direct reports, responsible for their growth and development preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Harris & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability) and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Harris expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.