- Irvine, CA
- Full Time
- Entry Level
Harris is a 100% employee-owned company focused on solving today's complex challenges in planning, design, and construction of public infrastructure. Our offices and project sites span the West Coast in California, Nevada, and Washington with a staff of over 200 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the municipal, water, transportation, and education markets.
If you're a driven professional looking for a collaborative environment, work that makes a difference, and a firm that invests heavily in your growth, you could be a perfect fit for Harris & Associates.
Harris is looking for a Design Engineer to join our dynamic Design & Engineering team. Under general supervision, the Design Engineer examines and checks architectural and structural drawings and specifications submitted for building permits to ensure conformance with building code requirements; provides engineering support to the project team. May be assigned to street, utility pipeline, drainage design, or site design or agency staff augmentation roles.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Possesses the knowledge and ability to work with municipal reference documents in conjunction with project plans and specifications
- Must be able to utilize independent judgment and initiative to achieve project objectives
- Schedule, attend, and provide feedback at pre-construction meetings with applicant, engineer, and inspector
- Facilitate map review with internal right-of-way department
- Ensure design is consistent with governing agency’s Conditions of Approval, Engineering recommendations, exhibits, and existing reference drawings
- Evaluate design for constructability, maintainability, and operability of pipeline
- Perform engineering calculations, clearly documenting methodology used and checks his/her work
- Uses engineering judgment to perform duties and knows when to ask questions, seek assistance or perform independent research
- Is sensitive to project budget, schedule, and quality, and reports concerns promptly to the Project Manager
- Effectively interacts with peers, clients, and sub-consultants through written and oral communication
- Carries out tasks assigned by the Project Directors, Managers, or Engineers
Qualifications & Skills
- 0 to 2 years engineering work experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering degree
- EIT preferred
- Relevant Internship experience required
- Computer proficiency skills including AutoCAD, LandDesktop, Civil 3-D, Microstation, MS Word and MS Excel
- Written and oral communication skills sufficient to prepare project documentation and correspondence
- Interact effectively with other team members, occasionally interface with clients, and deliver client, public, or internal team presentations on occasion
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Harris & Associates is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We invite resumes from all interested and qualified candidates including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Harris & Associates is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.