Harris is a 100% employee-owned company focused on solving today's complex challenges in planning, design, and construction of public infrastructure. Our offices and project sites span the West Coast in California, Nevada and Washington with a staff of over 260 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the municipal, water, transportation, and education markets.
We are hiring a Civil Engineer (CE) for the $1.6 billion High Speed Rail project that is constructing the first high-speed rail system in our nation. Harris & Associates and PGH Wong are the joint-venture team working for the California High Speed Rail Authority to deliver the first 29-mile segment of this historic project—which has become a model for success across the United States.
The CE is responsible for the oversight of the Contractor’s traffic related design activities for the CP1 Project. The CE will report to the Construction Oversight Manager. Key responsibilities of the CE include the following:
- Participate in Contractor design review meetings and interface coordination meetings.
- Assist in monitoring and tracking of the Contractor’s submittals, Contractor’s development of Alternative Technical Concepts (ATC) assigned by the Authority, and Contractor’s/PCM’s interface on submittal review process.
- Assist in reviewing and tracking of design variation requests (DVRs). Perform administrative check on the completeness of the design variance request form and process for Authority and FRA review. Process for Authority review and final signature.
- Provide technical assistance to the Contract Manager for Change Order merit documentation and design effort cost estimates using hours per sheet by classification.
- Provide technical assistance to the Quality Oversight Manager for review of FCNs and NCRs.
- Assist in review of the Contractor’s monthly payment requests for reasonableness of design activity progress and review supporting documentation.
- Assist in review the Contractor’s requests for information (RFIs).
- Participate in PCM/Contractor/RDP Joint Resolution Team (JRT) meetings to discuss design submittals and to reconcile open comments.
- Provide support and assist the Contract Manager to develop and draft design contract changes including Findings of Fact, Record of Negotiations, Change Orders, and Directive Letters as requested and/or necessary.
- Provide PCM interface with the Authority to coordinate Project Level activities by the PCM with Program Level activities by the Authority in accordance with PROC-ENGR-07 – Due Diligence Check for Civil-Structural Design-Build Contracts.
- Assist in the PCM’s review of the Contractor’s submittals for Contract compliance and Project Level technical civil/structural oversight.
- Coordinate Program Level reviews performed by the PDS / Authority with the PCM Project Level reviews for HST design submittals.
- Perform PCM Project Level submittal review of DCNs.
- Provide design review for Design Support During Construction.
- Participate in the implementation of the Requirements Management Tools for technical contract submittals and manage the review of the Requirements Verification Traceability Matrix (RVTM) for Project Level conformance. Support oversight review of the Certified Items List (CIL) and RAM Allocation Report.
- Interface with the Independent Checking Engineer (ICE) during the design submittal review process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, transportation engineering or a related field.
- PE license preferred.
- 3 - 5 + years’ experience in civil engineering or a related field.
- Technical skills: Technical skills and knowledge to perform the above listed duties.
- Communication skills: Excellent written and verbal communication to explain design issues to clients and other engineers.
- Problem-solving skills: Knowledge to solve complex problems and find solutions to complex issues and improve the flow of traffic in an area.
- Analytical skills: Analytical skills are the ability to solve problems and make decisions based on the information available. Knowledge and analytical skills to determine the best solutions for traffic issues.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $95-135K. This will be dependent on the experience and expertise of the incoming candidate
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Harris & Associates is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We invite resumes from all interested and qualified candidates including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Harris & Associates is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital status, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.