Director of Water Planning
- Los Angeles, Irvine, Concord, Sacramento, San Diego, Salinas, CA
- Full Time
- WATER CONSULTING
At Harris, our Water Consulting business unit helps communities to better connect with their water. Our clients, many small to mid-sized City water departments, public works departments, and water agencies, are facing growing challenges like never before: replacing aging infrastructure, meeting new permit requirements, managing tight budgets, losing experienced staff to retirement--all while trying to keep water affordable for their communities.
At Harris, we have made it our mission to help these clients – using our expertise to find new and creative ways to serve their needs. Our focused services include: asset management, strategic and integrated OneWater planning, stormwater management, rates and affordability, and risk and resilience planning. Furthermore, in support of California’s Human Right to Water mandate, we have a unique focus to help bring safe drinking water to our State’s most underserved communities.
At just over 200 people and 100% employee-owned, Harris is the right-sized consultancy to provide high-value, hands-on support for our clients and more growth opportunity for our staff.
Harris has an immediate opening for a Director, Water Planning in our Water Consulting business unit. This position will report to the Vice President, Water Consulting and will work closely with our two other Directors--Stormwater and Water Finance—to develop and execute integrated business development and project delivery strategies. Projects assigned to the Water Planning practice will involve water supply, wastewater, recycled water, and stormwater (where nexus with water supply) in several service areas: feasibility studies, master plans, hydraulic modeling, capital improvement development, asset management, operations and maintenance assessments, and utility management support.
Responsibilities & Duties
Responsibilities and duties of the Director, Water Planning will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide leadership and oversee multiple projects using project management principles
- Serve as a client facing consultant working in concert with client staff and other key stakeholders. Participate in client management activities including active attendance at conferences and in professional organizations; preparation of proposals and interview preparation; may serve as the primary client point of contact
- Serve as a technical lead in one or more key service areas such as hydraulic modeling, water resource planning, CIP planning, asset management, water treatment, and/or stakeholder facilitation.
- Serve as both a leader and contributor to strategic business growth initiatives within the Water Consulting business unit.
- Guide, develop and mentor staff within the Water Planning practice. Play a key role in recruiting new staff and retaining existing staff.
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor of Science Civil Engineering degree required. Masters preferred.
- Professional Engineer license required, California preferred
- 10+ years relevant municipal water, wastewater, planning experience; master planning preferred
- Knowledge of municipal water, wastewater, and recycled water markets in California
- Proven Project Management experience with demonstrated ability to manage projects and deliver on time and within budget.
- Effective written and oral communications with team members and clients
- Demonstrated experience delivering presentations to various groups preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with clients to provide long-term solutions and maintain/develop strong client relationships
- Supervisory experience of direct reports, responsible for their growth and development
Compensation & Benefits
Harris & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability) and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Harris expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.