Harris & Associates is a 100% employee-owned company focused on solving today’s complex challenges in environmental planning and compliance, engineering, housing and community development, and program and construction management. Our offices and project sites span the west coast in California with a staff of more than 200 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the municipal, water, transportation, and education markets.
If you’re a motivated professional looking for a collaborative environment, work that improves our community and protects the environment, and a firm that invests in your growth, you could be a perfect fit for Harris.
The Project Manager/Permitting Specialist is responsible for leading regulatory compliance efforts for a variety of infrastructure and development projects. This position requires a scientific background (biology, geology, hydrology, or GIS), demonstrated experience working with regulatory agencies to successfully obtain permits, and strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Lead the development of regulatory permit application packages and act as primary point of contact with regulatory agency staff
- Manage the scope, schedule and budget for permitting projects and technical reports (e.g., biological resource studies, constraints analyses)
- Develop mitigation strategies and negotiate mitigation requirements for projects in coordination with the project team and regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate with Harris’ GIS team to conduct geospatial analysis, prepare maps and synthesize data necessary for permitting tasks and environmental analyses
- Lead and/or assist teams conducting field work including wildlife surveys, botanical surveys, wetland delineations, and biological monitoring
- Lead and/or assist with business development activities in the area of biological resources and regulatory compliance
Qualifications & Skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, working well in a collaborative and positive team environment
- Current knowledge and practical experience with the Clean Water Act, California and Federal Endangered Species Acts, California Fish and Game Code, California Coastal Act, California State Porter-Cologne Act, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Strong working relationships with regulatory agency staff and demonstrated ability to negotiate and acquire permits from the US Army Corps of Engineers, Regional Water Quality Control Board, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and California Coastal Commission
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects of varying complexity and contract values and to manage multi-disciplinary teams, including sub consultants and field work components
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental studies, environmental sciences, planning, or related field
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite Basic understanding of geospatial analysis and GIS programs; GIS proficiency a plus
Compensation and Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Harris & Associates is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We invite resumes from all interested and qualified candidates including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Harris & Associates is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.