Environmental and Sustainability Planner
Harris is seeking a passionate, entrepreneurial, and motivated Environmental and Sustainability Planner to grow our California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and sustainability planning services, including land use, environment, hazard mitigation, climate change action and adaptation and resilience services across California. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in project management of planning and CEQA processes and supporting the development and implementation of climate change action and adaptation analyses, strategies, and actions into planning projects to support current and future services.
The planner should have a good understanding of the CEQA and be able to support the team on project analysis. The planner may also support sustainability and climate tasks related to long range planning. The successful candidate will support project teams for a variety of CEQA and climate change adaptation, hazard mitigation, and resilience projects.
The planner will work in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, fast-growing team of over 50 people within a diverse company of over 220 employee-owners to provide technical analysis and coordination support for planning, environmental, climate action, adaptation and resilience projects while demonstrating a strong customer service orientation. The successful candidate will embody Harris’ shared values by Developing and Exhibiting Trust; Working Smarter, Together; Investing in Our People; Thinking and Acting Inclusively; and Modeling the Harris Way.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Perform CEQA analysis and manage projects through the environmental process
- Develop and/or support community plans, vulnerability assessments, adaptation analysis, climate action plans, general plan safety and environmental justice elements, local hazard mitigation plans, post disaster recovery plans, sea-level rise assessments, and other types of risk and resilience planning efforts
- Work collaboratively across Harris to identify opportunities to add value and incorporate climate action/adaptation/resilience into other Harris services, such as community planning, environmental planning, municipal finance, engineering, and construction management
- Support proposals for new opportunities in which Harris has pre-positioned, which may include assistance with approach, schedule, scope and fee
- Produce quality, well-written deliverables on time and within budget
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelors in Environmental Science, Planning, or related field
- Minimum of 4 years writing and reviewing CEQA documents and managing the CEQA process
- Minimum of 2 years in a sustainability-focused role or a combination of demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education
- Knowledge of climate change adaptation/resilience requirements and guidance including, but not limited to, California executive orders, statute, plans, programs, and policies, such as CalOES resources, Safeguarding California Plan, General Plan Guidelines, CEQA Guidelines, and resources available through the Integrated Climate Adaptation and Resilience Program Technical Advisory Council
- Creativity and proficiency in completing research to support technical analysis
- Strong MS Office Suite skills and familiarity with tools such as Urban Footprint, Envision, MyPlan and Cal-Adapt
- Strong oral and written communication/interpersonal skills
- Professional, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and team-oriented
- The position may require periodic travel to other parts of California, including occasional overnight travel
Harris & Associates is an EEO employer committed to excellence through diversity. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.