Project Engineer - School Experience
Harris is a 100% employee-owned company focused on solving today's complex challenges in planning, design, and construction of public infrastructure. Our offices and project sites span the West Coast in California, Nevada, and Washington with a staff of over 200 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the municipal, water, transportation, and education markets.
If you're a driven professional looking for a collaborative environment, work that makes a difference, and a firm that invests heavily in your growth, you could be a perfect fit for Harris & Associates.
Harris is looking for a Project Engineer to join our team and support our client, the Los Angeles Community College District.
- Provides technical and engineering support to the College Project Teams (CPT) including Project Managers and Construction
- Coordinates with Program Management Office (PMO) staff, contractors, architects, engineers, inspectors, consultants and College staff
- Participates in, and occasionally runs, design or construction meetings
- Makes field checks on construction, demolition, rehabilitation, alteration addition or repair projects to determine compliance with job specifications, plans, established College standards, and Division of the State Architect (DSA) requirements
- Reads and interprets construction plans and shop drawings
- Assists in preparing written materials including correspondence, reports, procedures, and guidelines
- Supports development of weekly/monthly status and photos reports for project team
- Reviews, estimates, negotiates, and processes construction change orders and construction field orders
- Reviews and enforces construction and professional services contracts
- Manages and directs contractors and outside consultants including reviewing and approving invoices
- Assesses project risks and develops risk registers including mitigation strategies
- Facilitates resolutions of construction and design issues
- Coordinates with Architects for timely and accurate responses to requests for information, submittals, Construction Change Documents, etc..
- Generates and distributes meeting minutes (construction meetings, design meetings, etc..)
- Confirms contractor’s maintenance of record drawings prior to monthly progress payments to the Contractor
- Maintain project files in both electronic and paper format
- Reviews submittals for conformance to plans and specifications
- Generates and drafts Proposed Board Actions (PBA)
- Other job-related duties or projects as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- 5-8 years minimum recent professional experience in a similar or equivalent position involved in project or construction
- BS/BA Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Business or related degree. Additional qualifying experience in excess to the minimum stated above may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take initiative and make sound decisions.
- Experience on Educational programs/projects.
- Experience on Division of State Architect (DSA) projects.
- Experience on Central plant projects.
- Experience on large public works programs.
- Experience with Proliance or similar PMIS systems
- Professional Engineer License (PE), Certified Construction Manager (CCM), or similar credentials
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, EAP, PTO, paid holidays and more.
Harris & Associates an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability) and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.