Harris is a 100% employee-owned company focused on solving today's complex challenges in planning, design, and construction of public infrastructure. Our offices and project sites span the West Coast in California, Nevada, and Washington with a staff of over 200 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the municipal, water, transportation, and education markets.
If you're a driven professional looking for a collaborative environment, work that makes a difference, and a firm that invests heavily in your growth, you could be a perfect fit for Harris & Associates.
Harris is looking for a Client Development Leader to join our dynamic Business Development Team in our Irvine or Los Angeles office.
In this role, you will be a key member of the Harris’ Business Development leadership team, responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of a strategic plan for growing our Consulting and Program + Construction Management services in the transportation and municipal markets including key target clients, project/program opportunities, recruits, teaming partners, and growth areas.
The position requires strong business development, client management, and technical experience, with a background in Civil Design, Project Management, Program Management for the municipal and transportation market segments.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Strategize with Harris’ leadership to pursue new business opportunities, develop, drive and implement market strategies and expand/achieve market penetration.
- Expand the firm’s business across our core markets with a focus on growing and revitalizing communities and serving clients as their trusted advisor.
- Lead the development of strategic and business plans for the transportation and municipal markets leveraging their technical expertise to include identifying opportunities (building the pipeline), leading pursuits’ capture plans and team development, driving proposal/interview delivery, networking, and client outreach and engagement activities.
- Serve as Principal In Charge, Project Manager, or Program Manager on significant project pursuits.
- Deliver on business development by achieving high metrics on sales, backlog, and market growth.
- Develop and maintain critical relationships with key and strategic clients and teaming partners; manage targeted client accounts to ensure growth.
- Understand and articulate Harris’ value proposition, positioning the firm to serve our clients’ needs by cross selling the firm’s full suite of capabilities.
- Leverage capabilities to build Harris’ brand, cultivate/expand existing client and teaming relationships.
- Ensure high technical standards by supporting employee development, coaching, mentoring, and quality control procedures.
- Collaborate with staff and leadership to advance strategic thought leadership, conference presentations, publications, project awards, and others.
- Be a catalyst for innovation and creativity.
- Leverage network and industry knowledge to assist with strategic hires.
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 15 years’ of experience in Civil Engineering and Project and Program Management and/or Construction Management with focus on transportation and municipal clients.
- At least 10 years of experience in a senior management position, business development/sales and project management with demonstrated ability to lead, deliver sales, and grow new markets with steady revenue growth.
- Technical expertise in at least one of the key areas such as design, project management or construction management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering, construction management or other related fields, MBA a plus
- Registration as a professional engineer in the state of California is a plus.
- Experience in the trasnportation industry with agencies such as: LA Metro, Orange County Transportation Authority, San Diego Association of Governments, Caltrans, etc., required.
- Experience working with local governments: cities, counties, special districts, required.
- Proven ability to lead and manage complex projects, pursuit to project delivery, and client relationships.
- Strong mindset that reflects a consultative, innovative, collaborative, and problem-solving approach.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making capabilities, including ability to identify existing or potential challenges and recommend solutions.
- Demonstrated project and program management experience, including scope, schedule, and budget management.
- Strong business and financial acumen including budget planning, financial forecasting and pricing of services.
- Capabilities in risk assessment, understanding of contract provisions, and risk mitigation.
- Exceptional written, presentation, and oral communications/public speaking skills.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) Certification, a plus
Compensation and Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Harris & Associates is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We invite resumes from all interested and qualified candidates including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Harris & Associates an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability)