Harris & Associates is a 100% employee-owned company focused on solving today’s complex challenges in environmental planning and compliance, engineering, public finance and program and construction management. Our offices and project sites span the west coast in California, Nevada and Washington with a staff of more than 200 employee-owners. We focus on serving clients in the municipal, water, transportation and education markets.
If you’re a driven, curious professional looking for a collaborative environment, work that makes a difference, and a firm that invests in your growth, you could be a perfect fit for Harris.
Harris & Associates is searching for a Planner position with municipal (city or county) planning and CEQA experience to be on our Environmental Planning & Compliance (EPC – Consulting) team, based in our Salinas office. The primary responsibilities of the position will include staff augmentation at city and county planning departments, processing development applications, preparing staff reports and resolutions, attending and coordinating stakeholder and/or applicant meetings, and conducting public hearing presentations. Responsibilities will also include preparing environmental analyses for CEQA documents, including Addenda, IS/MNDs and EIRS, and providing writing and project coordination services to support the project managers in the Salinas office.
The successful candidate will have strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills (both written and verbal). The position demands attention to detail and the ability to coordinate effectively with the project team, work on multiple projects for multiple jurisdictions, and prioritize and complete high-quality work within specified deadlines. A strong work ethic, positive attitude, and experience working in a team-oriented environment is also required.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Provide staff augmentation support to city and county planning departments, including providing zoning information, assisting the general public, processing development applications, preparing staff reports and resolutions, and public presentations before a Zoning Administrator, Planning Commission, City Council and/or Board of Supervisors
- Assist with the preparation of CEQA and NEPA documents, including Categorical Exemptions, Initial Studies/Mitigated Negative Declarations, Environmental Impact Reports, and/or Addenda
- Provide research, data collection and technical writing to support ongoing projects
- Cultivate strong working relationships with clients, including frequent written and verbal communication
Qualifications & Skills
- 3 + years of related work experience in municipal planning department and/or environmental consulting firm
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in planning, environmental studies, or related field
- Strong written and verbal communication/interpersonal skills
- Strong research, organization, coordination, and analytical skills
- Proficienct computer skills, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Adobe)
- Flexibility for limited or local travel
- AICP desired but not required.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and benefits (including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee ownership) and flexible/hybrid work environment. Harris & Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability) and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Harris expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.